Preventative Dentistry in Crystal Lake, IL
What is Preventative Dentistry?
Preventative Dentistry refers to the practice and procedures that contribute to the overall health of a patients teeth and reduce the chance of further negative diagnoses. Preventative dentistry is both instructive, where the dental team informs a patient the best way to take care of their teeth and procedural, where a dentist will take action during a visit to prevent further cavities.
Preventive Dentistry at Home
In order to prevent cavities and increase the health of your teeth, here are some of the biggest contributing factors toward a healthy mouth.
- Brushing your teeth – Brushing your teeth, at least twice a day, is important. Especially after eating sweets. Remember to brush your tongue too.
- Flossing – Flossing is always stressed. Remember flossing should be performed daily – a lot of the harmful bacteria live between your teeth or in places that you toothbrush cannot reach
- Eat a balanced diet – Limiting your sugar intake can be one of the biggest factors toward what happens in your mouth. Remember, bacteria love sugar. Drink plenty of water, especially after sweets.
- Genetics – Some factors like saliva production are completely out of your control. Certain people are more prone to cavities than others.
Preventive Dentistry at Osmanski Dental
Although there is plenty to be done at home, some work will be needed in our office. Here are the practices and procedures we employ to ensure that you live a healthy life!
- Regular visits – You won’t know what needs attention unless you find out. During your visits you can schedule your next cleaning and check up on the progress of your at-home habits.
- Education – Our friendly and knowledgeable dental team will guide you on how to care for your teeth at home and provide any additional instructions based on individual diagnoses and feedback.
- Fluoride – Fluoride helps resist tooth decay, your dental team will know the correct level to provide and it usually takes just a few minutes to perform. We have lots of great flavors!
- Sealants – The surface of your teeth takes a lot of wear and tear, that is why we offer sealants to help add an additional layer of protection to your teeth.
Preventative dentistry is important to maintain a healthy mouth and contributes toward a healthy and holistic lifestyle. Call us for more information or to schedule a visit!